The ConnectALL Office provides users the opportunity to test their Internet connection bandwidth using a speed test. The speed test will measure a few data points:
- Download Speed: How quickly content is transferred to your computer in Mbps (megabits per second). This is particularly important if you use the Internet to stream video or gaming.
- Upload Speed: How quickly you are able to upload content to the Internet in Mbps. This is particularly important if you often use the Internet to share videos, music and images.
- Ping/Jitter: This refers to the amount of latency in a network, or the amount of time it takes data to travel from one computer to another on a network.
How Much Internet Speed Do You Need?
- Light users primarily use the Internet for basic functions such as email, browsing, basic video, VoIP, and Internet radio.
- Moderate users rely on basic functions plus one high-demand application such as streaming HD video, multiparty video conferencing, online gaming or telecommuting.
- High users rely on basic functions plus more than one high-demand application running at the same time.
For an estimate on how much speed you need, use the FCC's Household Broadband Guide.
There's an App for That
The FCC has an app to check the speed on your mobile device or in-home network. The FCC Speed Test App is available in the Google Play Store for Android devices, and in the Apple App Store for iOS devices. Search "FCC Speed Test" in either store to find and download the App.